Thursday, June 21, 2018

Applique Small Potholders for A Play Oven

I paid only ten cents for these little, child sized potholders in an estate sale. 
Each revealed bright colors after giving them a good scrub. Then, I decided 
they needed a bit of decoration. So I cut a flower, cherries and strawberry 
from a bit of felt and appliqued the designs with hand-stitching. 
With just a few finishing touches (pom poms and seed beads) this 
project was finished in under an hour.
Left, Vintage print fabric potholders in bold colors: blue, green, yellow and red 
will look sweet with our kitchen oven in the playroom. Right,  
an old-fashioned woven potholder made with loops came with the set. 
It is color coordinated with the quilted potholders.
I cut simple shapes of both a strawberry and cherries for my appliques. Then I cut 
brown stems and green leaves from felt. After sewing the designs directly onto the 
tops of my potholders, (using a blanket stitch ) I then attached a few black seed
 beads to my strawberry to mimic real seeds.
I printed a 1930s flower design from my Christmas blog and cut it out to use 
for the applique seen above. I used a finer thread to attach the pom poms and 
seed beads to the center of my design. You obviously don't need to worry about 
plastic or furry trims when decorating pretend potholders!

More Quilting and Applique Crafts for Kids:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!