Saturday, August 17, 2019

A Doll's Wedding

A DOLL'S WEDDING 
by Lucy Larcom

Says Ivanhoe to Mimi: 
"It's our wedding-day;
And will you promise, dearest,
Your husband to obey?"

And this is Mimi's answer: 
"With all my heart, my dear;
If you will never cause me
To drop a single tear;

"If you will ask me nothing
But what I want to do
I'll be a sweet, obedient,
Delightful wife to you."

Says Mr. Fenwick, giving
His brown mustache a twist: 
"I shall command you, madam,
To do whate'er I list!"

Miss Mimi answers, frowning,
His very soul to freeze: 
"Then, sir, I shall obey you
Only just when I please!"

Says Ivanhoe to Mimi: 
"Let us to this agree-
I will not speak one word to you,
If you'll not speak to me;

"Then we shall never quarrel,
But through our dolly life
I ll be a model husband,
And you a model wife!"

And now all men and women
Who make them wedding-calls,
Look on and almost envy
The bliss of these two dolls.

They seem so very smiling-
So graceful, kind, and bright!
And gaze upon each other
Quite speechless with delight.

Never one cross word saying,
They stand up side by side,
Patterns of good behavior
To every groom and bride.

Sweethearts, it is far better-
This truth they plainly teach-
The solid gold of silence,
Than the small change of speech!
An enchanting Bride doll dressed for
her special day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!