Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Who Was Harriet Beecher Stowe?

       Harriet Beecher Stowe, a distinguished American novelist, was the daughter of the Rev. Lyman Beecher. She was born at Litchfield, Connecticut in June on the 15th of 1812 and was married in 1836 to Professor Calvin E. Stowe of Andover Thheological Seminary. Among her productions are: Uncle Tom's Cabin, which met with immense success, and was translated into more than twenty different languages prior to 1883, Sunny Memories of Foreign Lands, Dred: A Tale of the Dismal Swamp, Our Charley, and What to Do With Him, The Minister's Wooing, The Pearl of Orr's Island, Little Foxes, Queer Little People, My Wife and I, and Lady Byron Vindicated.       
       Uncle Tom's Cabin; or, Life Among the Lowly is an anti-slavery novel by American author Harriet Beecher Stowe. Published in 1852, the novel had a profound effect on attitudes toward African Americans and slavery in the U.S. and is said to have "helped lay the groundwork for the Civil War". Read more...

When I Get Over The River
 
When I get over the river,
That river deep and wide,
How great will be my pleasure,
How great will be my pride;
The angels will be standing
For every one to see,
And when I get over the river
Moses will meet me.

When I get over the river
And reach old Jordan's shore,
I want to see my loved ones
That all have gone before;
And there amid that gathering
For every one to see
Moses will be standing 
And waiting there for me.

Learn More About Uncle Tom's Cabin:
Who is Harriet Beecher Stowe?
 from American Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!