Saturday, September 21, 2024

Mouse's Tail by Helen Pettes

A  little  Mouse,  so  clean  and  neat,
Would  wash  his  face  and  scrub  his  feet
And  take  the  very  greatest  care
Of  his  sleek  coat  of  shining  hair,
While  never,  never,  would  he  fail
To  brush  his  beautiful  long  tail
And  titivate  his  ears.

Now  in  this  house,  Oh  big  and  fat,
Was  that  sly  monster  called  "The  Cat"
But  most  untidly,  she
Forgot  to  put  her  comb  and  brush
In  proper  place,  and,  in  a  rush
One  day  to  find  them,  she  did  fail,
And  in  a  rage,  bit  off  the  tail,
Of  our  poor  little  Mouse!

Said  little  Mouse,  with  falling  tears,
And  fairly  shaking  with  his  fears,
''Please,  Mrs.  Cat,  give  back  my  tail
My  beautiful  long  tail!"
Said  Mrs.  Cat,  as  smooth  as  silk,
"Bring  me  a  saucer  of  warm  milk,
And  I'll  give  back  your  tail,
Your  beautiful  long  tail."

To  Cow  went  Mouse  with  bright  tin  pail.
"Please,  Mrs.  Cow,  fill  up  my  pail,
With  milk,  so  Cat  will  never  fail,
To  give  me  back  my  nice  long  tail,
My  beautiful  long  tail."

Said Mrs. Cow "First  bring  me  hay,
Then  your  request  I  will  obey,
And  fill  your  pail  with  milk."
To  Farmer,  straight  as  flying  arrow,
Went  Mousie  with  his  small  wheel-
barrow.

"Please,  Mr.  Farmer,  fill  with  hay
My  barrow,  for  the  Cow  did  say,
That  she  for  it  would  give  me  milk
To  give  the  Cat,  as  smooth  as  silk,
So  she  will  give  me  back  my  tail,
My  beautiful  long  tail."

Said  Farmer:   "My  barn  door  is  locked.
Bring  me  a  key,  we'll  not  be  balked,
I'll  open  straight  the  door,
And  then  upon  the  floor
I'll  fill  with  sweet  new  hay
Your  barrow,  to display"
Mouse,  with  his  pocketbook  in  hand,
Went  to  the  Locksmith,
big  and  grand.

"Please,  Mr.  Locksmith,  bring  a  key,
And  I'll  to  Farmer  give  it;
His  barn  unlocked,  he'll  fill  with  hay,
My  little  barrow,  to display.
Then  to  the  Cow,  without  delay,
I'll  bring  the  hay  and  give  it.
She'll  give  me  milk  to  give  the  Cat,
Who'll  give  me  back  my  tail,
My  beautiful  long  tail."

Said  Locksmith:  "I  must  have  a  file
With  which  to  make  a  key.
Get  me  file,  the  key  I'll  make
With  pleasure  for  your  own  small  sake!"
Down  to  the  ground  bowed  he.

With  satchel  on  his  arm,  went  Mouse
Down  to  the  brawny  Blacksmith's  house.
"Please  Mr.  Blacksmith,  make  a  file
For  Locksmith - in  a  little  while
He  then  can  make  a  key.

The  key  to  Farmer  then  I'll  take,
His  barn  door  soon  unlocked  will  be,
The  hay  he'll  give  me,  then  will  make
The  Cow  to  give  her  nice  warm  milk,
To  coax  the  Cat,  as  smooth  as  silk,
To  give  me  back  my  tail,
My  beautiful  long  tail.

Said  Blacksmith: "I  must  have  some  coal
To  build  a  fire  to  make  a  file.
Down  in  the  earth  through  a  dark  hole
You'll  find  the  Miner  digging  coal.
He'll  give  you  quite  a  pile."


Poor  Mouse  took  now  his  little  cart,
Down  in  the  dark  earth,  like  a  dart
He  ran  to  Mr.  Miner.
'Please  Mr.  Miner,  give  me  coal.
How  dark  it  is!  Upon  my  soul,
Your  cap  lamp  is  some  shiner!

If  I  the  coal  to  Blacksmith  bring,
He'll  make  a  file,  the  cutest  thing!
So  Locksmith  then  a  key  can  make,
The  barn  door  open,  Farmer'll  take
My  barrow,  fill  it  up  with  hay
While  I  to  Cow  will  blithely  say,
Give  me  your  nice  warm  milk,
To  coax  the  Cat,  as  smooth  as  silk
To  give  me  back  my  tail,
My  beautiful  long  tail."

The  Miner  filled  his  cart  with  coal.
Mouse  wheeled  it  to  his  goal.
The  Blacksmith  made  his  fire  to  glow,
He  beat  his  iron  high  and  low,
And  fashioned  him  a  file.
The  file  then  made  the  Locksmith's  key,
The  Farmer's  barn  door  opened,  he
Did  fill  the  barrow  full.

The  hay  he  gave,  the  Cow  did  eat.
She  filled  the  pail  with  nice  warm  milk
Said  Mouse  to  Cat,  as  smooth  as  silk:
'Now,  give  me  back  my  tail
My  beautiful  long  tail!"

Untidy  Cat  said:     "Dearie,  me!
Where  ever  did  I  put  it.
And  straightaway  up  and  down
the  house
She  madly  then  did  foot  it
''I  guess -''  when  Mouse's  tears
she  saw,
"It  must  be  in  the  upper  drawer!"

The  bureau  she  ransacked.
(I  think  had  she  been  soundly  smacked
When  she  was  but  a  kitten
She might  have  lost  untidiness,
Her hide,  not  heart,  been  smitten.)
Now,  here  she  was  in  such  a
mess!
The  milk,  alas!  was  getting  cold,
And  Mouse  at  last  began  to
scold.


Cried  Mrs.  Cat,  "Ha!  here's  the  place.''
And  raced  to  open  closet.
She  pulls  down  boxes  on  her  face
(A  bone  falls  and  she  gnaws  it!)
Said  Mouse,  "for  shame!"
His  gathering  tears
He  tries  to  keep  from  falling.
(If  Cat  had  been  in  Mouse's  place
One  sure  had  heard  her  squalling!)


Said  Cat,  "Of  course,  the  second  drawer!"
Alas!  the  tail's  not  in  it.
"Oh,  wait!    Don't cry!   I'll  surely  find
That  tail  in  just  a  minute!"
Mouse  whistled  "Yankee  Doodle"  now
To  keep  his  courage  flying.
Cat  hustled  'round,  pretended  Mouse
Should  never  think  of  crying!

Ah!  here  it  is.    The  very  place!
In  tissue  pink,  I  wrapped  it!"
And  from  the  lower  drawer,
her  face
All  shining  glee,  she  snapped  it!
"Hurrah!"  she  cried.  "Take  back
your  tail!
The  cause  of  all  this  trouble!"
Mouse  snatched  his  tail,  pink-
wrapped,  all  pale.
He  starts  to  run  and  double.


"Ah!  this  way  home.  I'll  get  the  glue!"
'Tis  done!    Cat  drinks  her  milk - ''Mi-e'-ou!''
While  Mouse  parades  his  nice  long  tail,
His  beautiful  long  tail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!