Thursday, February 7, 2019

Craft a Cupcake Stand Using Wooden Spools

Left, Here is the finished two tiered cake stand craft that I made for our 18 inch dolls to display
these sugary sweet treats for Valentines Day. Right, I used a series of wooden spools, beads
 and a decorative metal hook to construct the small stan
d.

        This craft is very easy to make if you can find the right materials. I used wooden spools for my own cupcake stand but this idea could be just as easily made using recycled jar lids or cardboard if you prefer.

Left, wooden spools, old-fashioned decorative, wall mount hook
and glue gun. Center, the 18 inch doll sized cupcake stand glued
 together. Right, I used small wooden beads for feet at the bottom
 of the cake stand.
Supply List:
  • large wooden spool 
  • one smaller wooden spool
  • a finial or old decorative hook 
  • Valentine scrapbook paper
  • white enamel paint
  • four wooden beads
  • hot glue and hot glue gun
  • white typing paper

       Above you can see the supplies collected on my old kitchen table. First you will need to glue the items together. If you use a hot glue gun and are a child, you should have an adult present to make sure that you don't burn yourself. Wooden parts can be glued together using many other types of glue if you have them on hand. It just takes longer for your cupcake stand to dry using them. 

Left, the cupcake stand painted white and you can see that I have cut my white typing paper
 to make a template for the liners. Center, the Valentine themed paper liners now fit the
bottom of each cake stand tier. I can remove these after Valentines Day is over and replace
 them with something else for our dolls to celebrate. Right, our hand-crafted, Valentine cup
 cakes are stacked and ready for our American Girl Dolls to play with. 
If you would like to make some like mine read this post!

       After my cupcake stand had time to dry, I then painted it with white enamel paint. I gave it three good coats of paint and let the paint dry between applications for approximately 20 minutes. Then I used a pencil to draw around the outside edge of the stand on white typing paper. Cut out the template and then cut a hole in the center of the pattern. I fit this to my cake stand before cutting out the decorative paper liners. You could Mod Podge these to your own Valentines Day Cup Cake stand in the end. However, I chose not to do this so that I could change the liners out with other holiday themed papers in the future.

More Valentine Cupcake Crafts from Our Family Blogs:
Color Sweet Treats from The "Le Petite Pâtisserie Coloring Index"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!