Friday, August 9, 2019

The Speeder's Accident

"Oh, the engine's on fire!
      The shrill sound of a policeman's whistle cut the air three times, but the dolls mobile sped on faster than ever.
       "I couldn't catch them at all, at all," reported the little thin sub-officer, McStoppem, at headquarters.
       "Bring my motorcycle, McStoppem," ordered Chief Arrestem.
       "All right, sir," nodded Officer McStoppem, bringing out the wonderful little toy. "If you take the cross-cut road toward Sandpile Village, you'll catch them. The number is here it is, I wrote it down 1492. You can easily remember it the year Columbus made 'preparedness' necessary."
       "Cut out your chatter, McStoppem, and follow me in a hurry," directed the chief, as he kicked the pedal of the motorcycle to start the engine. "Hand me the paper," and, snatching it, was off.
       "The chief'll get'em O.K.," muttered Officer McStoppem to himself, as he watched the long line of dust and smoke in the wake of the little motorcycle.
       Just as Chief Arrestem came into the cross-roads leading to Sandpile Village, the runaway automobile flew past.
       "By Jiminy, I don't wonder McStoppem couldn't catch them," he said under his breath, as he put on still more speed. "That man's lost control of his car, and unless I'm mistaken there'll be an accident when he comes to that dangerous turn in the road where that big rocking chair stands."
       Meanwhile everybody in the dollsmobile was trying not to be frightened.
       "Can't you slow down a little, Father?" asked Mrs. Brave.
       "The brakes won't hold," panted Mr. Brave, forcing both brakes on with all his might. "This is dreadful!"
       "Gee whiz!" exclaimed little Ibee, looking out the rear window. "Here comes the motor police. He'll arrest us for speeding."
       "Oh, mercy, we're coming to Rocking Hill road," gasped Shesa. "Father, do turn off the power!"
       But Shesa spoke too late, and kerr-smash! ken-bang! kerr-plunk! went the dollsmobile right into the rockers of the rocking chair, turning "turtle" twice, and breaking the beautiful glass windows to pieces. Out of the broken radiator the boiling hot water poured over poor Mrs. Brave's arm where she lay just as she was thrown.
       "Oh, the engine's on fire!" shrieked little Soami, "and I'm burning to death!"
       "Father, Father," called little Ibee, "come get me out! I'm fast under the car! Come get me out, please! Oh, I'll be burned to death! Father, oh, my arm hurts! Oh, I can't move my arm!"
       The mother managed to get up when she heard the children call.
       "Where's your father? Oh, where is he?" she cried, and going to the other side of the car, she saw poor Mr. Brave lying amidst a heap of broken glass and wheels and gears. From his head ran a little stream of blood.
Up came chief Arrestem.
        "Oh, he's dead!" she sobbed, but just then he gave a little groan. "Oh, my dear husband," she exclaimed, "tell me you're not dead! Tell me you're not dead!" she begged, unmindful of her own arm.
       "I'm dead, Mother," groaned little Soami. "I just know I'm dead with pain."
       "Well, I'm not!" said little Ibee, "and even though my arm hurts so, I'm going to try to go for help if I can get out from under this car."
       "My, that's so!" exclaimed the mother. "I myself forgot to be brave. I'll go for help."
       But just as she spoke, up came Chief Arrestem.
       "I saw it all, madam," he said, "and I stopped to telephone to the hospital for the ambulance."
       "Oh, don't 'rest us, please," begged little Ibee. "Please, Mr. Officer, don't arrest us. We weren't speeding. Father couldn't make the brakes hold!"
       "Don't you worry, little chap," replied Chief Arrestem. "I won't arrest any of you. Here comes Officer McStoppem on his motorcycle, just as I told him to, and in a minute we'll have you all out from under."
       "Never mind about me," said Ibee. "Please get poor Soami out. She's dead, I think."
       "Quick, McStoppem," called the chief, "help throw sand on this car to put out the fire!"
       It took about ten seconds for the two officers to put the fire out, and even before that, they heard the honk! honk! of the ambulance.
       "Here comes the ambulance!" cried Chief Arrestem. "Now, with the driver's help, we'll soon be able to lift this car."



Introduction: Chapters: 1The Speeder's Accident,  345678910111213141516171819 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!