Monday, May 31, 2021

Creating & Crafting Dolls

This little clown was one of several dolls that I made using the largest body pattern
inside the book. His body is sewn from unbleached muslin, the coloring in his face
 is made from embroidery and a soft colored pencil. Most of the doll characters in the
 book are either fairies or children, not clowns.

        This book, Creating and Crafting Dolls by Eloise Piper and Mary Dilligan, is one that I have kept on my bookshelf for many years. (published in 1994) It includes very simple doll bodies plus a few clothing patterns that are perfect for a beginner sewer. But what I consider it's most wonderful contribution to my own books on sewing, are the playful/imaginative treatments given to the countless doll costumes photographed in the text. There are four volumes in this series by these two women. I only have this one, and I won't be giving it away anytime soon!

I used many different fabrics combined together for texture: a pink satin, a lavender felt,
 tulle and lace, lavender rick-rack, and a very rare dyed fur for his hair. The pom poms on
 his hat were from an old stash. The artists who wrote the book encourage innovative
selections of recycled materials to create one-of-a-kind dolls.

Left, is an up-close photo of his embroidered face. Right, the incredibly soft texture
of his appliqued wig is curly and bubblegum pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!