Thursday, June 30, 2022

My Old Rag Doll

A little girl prays for her dolly in 1890.
 

My Old Rag Doll

When I think of earthly treasures,
Counting those I've loved and lost,
Some which brought the greatest pleasures,
Were the ones of trifling cost;
There is one I'll ever cherish,
For I loved her best of all;
She, whose mem'ry cannot perish-
Betsey Dear, my old rag doll.
How I used to hug and kiss her,
Whisper secrets in her ear;
Now she's done, oh, how I miss her!
My own darling, Betsey Dear.
I would lovingly caress her,
As I held her in my arm,
I would pray to God to bless her,
And protect her from all harm;
Tho she's gone, she's not forgotten,
I recall her every grace;
Just a home-made bag of cotton,
With a Jack-O-Lantern face.
But my love was as a Mother's,
With her first born at her breast;
Tho I've seen a thousand others,
Still, I love my Betsey best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!