Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Little-Blue-Willow-Plate

Little Madame's Corner Cupboard filled with bits and boobs for tea time.

       The Little-Blue-Willow-Plate lived in the Corner Cupboard. Other things lived in the Corner Cupboard, too. Oh dear me, yes! There were quite ex-tra-or-di-na-ry things. There was Red-Tea-Pot that turned up its little spout-nose with such an air. There was Silver-Mug--not an ordinary Silver-Mug, mind you. And there was Crystal-Rose-Bowl. She was all rainbowy and lovely in the firelight. Cologne-Bottle was there, too, with her fine gold cap, to say nothing of Pink-China-Clock! Never mind if it did sing out size o'clock when it meant bedtime. It was an ex-traordinary-- a very ex-tra-or-di-nary Pink-China-Clock, you must know.

Little-Blue-Willow-Plate.
       And then, of course, there was Little-Blue-Willow-Plate. He was quite a common thing, the others thought. He had curious blue things all over him. He had little blue houses with peaked roofs. He had also little blue trees with blue apples that looked for all the world like balloons on a stem. Then there were little  blue bridges over little blue rivers and-I declare-little blue men trotting across. And over the little blue bridges and houses and trees were two blue beaks close together.

       "Dear me! Such a common creature!" snapped Red-Tea-Pot.
       "Such a crazy creature!" Silver-Mug siad.
       "Such an ugly creature!" declared Crystal-Rose-Bowl, thinking of her own beauty.
       "Such a queer creature!" cried Cologne-Bottle. While Pink-China-Clock just made an ugly face and clasped her hands, which was quite as if she had said, "That common thing is out of place. We are all fine and dainty. His place is in the kitchen among the pots and pans!"
       One day the Corner-Cupboard folk were chattering among themselves. Blue-Willow-Plate listening quietly in his place against the shelf.
       The Red-Tea-Pot began, "I am both useful and beautiful. No other tea-pot could take my place. Little Madame cannot do without me!" And the Tea-Pot blushed red with foolish pride.
       Silver-Mug, not to be outdone, said in the lordliest way, "I am silver. Solid Silver, I tell you! The lips of little princesses have touched me. Read my engraving! Behold my Royal Crest!"
       "Ah," murmured Crystal-Rose-Bowl, "I shouldn't want a Royal Crest. I have held the roses of a hundred summers. Just see how the firelight sets my colors dancing. They are the spirits of all those withered roses."
       "Nonsense!" cried Cologne-Bottle, who had stood it long enough. "I have scented the gowns of grand ladies. One drop of me is worth all of you. I hold the fragrance of a garden of violets. Gracious! Why can't you understand?"
       "Fie upon you all!" scolded Pink-China-Clock. "I was made in Switzerland. Who of you can say that? Kings have looked into my face for the time o' day. Ah me! To think I have come to live in a Corner-Cup-board!"
       Then because Red-Tea-Pot, Silver-Mug, Crystal-Rose-Bowl, Cologne-Bottle and Pink-China-Clock had seen better days, each and every one said, "Ah me! Ah me! Ahhhh me!"
       Now the Little-Blue-Willow-Plate had been listening all this time. He felt sorry from the bottom of his little blue heart. For, if he had a heart, I'm sure is must have been blue.
       So he said, "You poor dear things, you poor dear things!"
       At that, Red-Tea-Pot, Silver-Mug, Crystal-Rose-Bowl, Cologne-Bottle and Pink-China-Clock sat up very stiff and straight. They had almost forgotten Little-Blue-Willow-Plate. Almost, but not quite!
       And then--if you'll believe me--Red-Tea-Pot said this: "Tut, tut! Who are you but a common serving dish? Kitchen Crockery! Tut! Tut! Tut!" And if you will believe me--the others said in the same unkind way, 'Kitchen Crockery! Tut! Tut! Tut!"
       Just then, the wee glass door of the Corner Cupboard was opened. Little Madame was taking out -- the Blue-Willow-Plate! Two little voices cried, "Oh, what a sweet little dish! Tell us about it, Little Madame!" The two little voices belonged to two little girls.
       Little Madame held the Blue-Willow-Plate ever so carefully. How shiny and round it was in the firelight! Then she told a wondrous story--all about that Blue-Willow-Plate. She told them all about those little blue houses and bridges and trees and birds and the little men crossing the bridge. Oh yes, and she told them all about the prettiest little princess!
       It was such a wondrous story that little girls said "Ohs" and "Has" with very round mouths.
       "Now," finished Little Madame, "we shall fill Blue-Willow-Plate with cookies and have a tea-party." And you know how little girls like tea-parties!
       I suppose you think that the Blue-Willow-Plate was put back in the Corner-Cupboard? Well, it wasn't. For ever after that little Blue-Willow-Plate lived on the friendly mantelpiece. And everybody who came to Little Madame's fireside said: "What a dear little plate!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!