Saturday, January 5, 2019

Two Techniques to Restore One Doll's Chair

Left, this chair was originally painted peach. Center, I layered both blue and pink using a dry brush technique.
Right, the finish is done.
       I chose to repaint this dollar find from the local flee market and then to hand weave a new seat using twine and ribbon found in my craft supply at home.
I wove a seat cushion using twine for the warp
 and ribbon for the weft.

Supply List:
  • acrylic paints (your choice, 2 to 3 colors)
  • stipple brush (optional), or soft camel hair brush
  • twin or natural colored yarn for the warp components
  • purple embroidery floss and needle
  • purple ribbon for the weft components
  • clean paper towels 
  • clear acrylic sealer
Step-by-Step Instructions for The Dry Brush Technique:
  1. Dust and clean off the chair that you have on hand. I discovered the one above at resale for $1.49; it fits a 14" doll perfectly.
  2. I also removed the damaged seat.
  3. Lightly load up your brush with paint. Dab it on the paper towel to insure that it does not have too much paint on it. Because this is a dry brush technique, you need very little paint to accomplish this wood finish.
  4. Now lightly brush the surface of the chair. Let it dry and repeat with another color. Layer the colors randomly as you go. Stop when you are satisfied with the brushed color surface.
  5. Some of the colors will show in places more than others.
  6. Seal with a clear acrylic spray or wash.

Step-by-Step Instructions for The Woven Seat:
       First you will need to decide the direction of your warp wrap. I chose to wrap my seat running the warp twine up and down instead of the traditional method of wrapping from left to right. This is because I wanted the ribbon weft to show on the left and right sides of my seat.
       Tie the warp twine onto the chair stretcher directly under the lowest rail of the seat. (below left) Now wrap the warp threads under, up and over the front stretcher directly opposite to its back stretcher. Do this over and over until the seat has been filled from one side of the support to the other. Do not pull the warp tight; this will distort the chair frame! The weaving will eventually tighten the seat properly as you go.

Left, I am reading to wrap the warp first. Center, I chose to sew together the warp threads at each
 end of the seat weave with purple embroidery floss. Because I wrapped the warp all the way around
 the front and back rungs of my chair seat. It was necessary for me to tie both the top and bottom
of corresponding warp threads together. The embroidery floss helped me to secure warp threads
before proceeding with the weave.
Left, penny shows size of woven seat on top of the seat cushion.
Right, the weave as seen from beneath the seat cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!