Thursday, December 3, 2020

A Christmas Wish

A Christmas Wish
R. K. Munkittrick in Woman's Home Companion.

I WISH that good old Santa
Would travel like a show
And to his tent of playthings
For nothing let me go,
And take along my stockings
To fill in laughing glee
With all the things he fondly
Hangs on the Christmas tree.

I'd see the pasteboard camel
Wink at the kangaroo;
I'd see the china wombat
And quagga chase the gnu;
I'd see the rubber ostrich
Serenely wink his eye
To see the monkey capture
The peanut on the fly.

And then I'd see old Santa
With all his books of rimes
I'd grab him by the whiskers
And kiss him fifty times
And on his back go riding
Beneath the fairy dome
And with a lot of playthings
Go running gaily home.

 'Tis then I think old Santa
Should up and go away
And in some other village
Put up his tent next day
And then go on still farther
And farther still and still
To let all lovely children
Their great big stockings fill.

 'Twould then be always Christmas,
All musical with joy
And bending tree and turkey
And hobbyhorse and toy,
For while upon his travels
Old Santa'd scatter cheer;
He'd make a Christmas somewhere
Each day throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!