Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Belle From Beauty and The Beast Redressed

Belle redressed in silks and tulle.

The merchant, anxious to procure a rose --
(The trifling gift sweet Beauty did propose),
Gather'd some in the garden of the Beast,
Not thinking he was erring in the least:
"Ingrate! thou'st robb'd me of my darling store!"
The monster, springing from the shrubs, did roar;
"Prepare to die! or quick the flow'rs restore!"

        My version of Belle's ball gown is in yellow, gold and shades of green. I felt these color choices would compliment the deep walnut color of her hair. I maintained the low, large turned down collar that Disney frequently includes with this fairy tale princess in order that she may be identified at a glance. However, the silk skirts: one in a green arabesque design and the second a pale buff yellow with an even lighter shade of yellow ruffle are quite a departure from her iconic Disney ball gown. The gold tulle about the shoulders and neck lends this gown modest flair better suited to young princesses. (I used pattern number 5673 by Simplicity to sew her gown.)

       Below are a few alternative interpretations of Beauty's ball gown that visitors may like to reproduce for their next sewing project; I am particularly fond of Goble's idea. I have seen something like it before in the newsprint archives on a paper doll. Once I restore it I will link to that Beauty and The Beast paper doll from here.

Left, details of skirt, ruffles and gathers. Right, details of Beauty's bodice.

Illustration by Eleanor Vere Boyle.

Illustration by Warwick Goble

Illustration by Nancy Barnhart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!