Thursday, June 3, 2021

Pincushion Dolls

Left, my newest pincushion. A stuffed bear who's tongue extends to reveal a tape measure.
Center,
My favorite pincushion was given to me when I was very young.
A half doll attached to a 'skirt' pincushion; she still sits on my bedroom dresser.
Right, is an antique hooked pin cushion that belonged to my mother-in-law

         A pincushion is a small cushion, typically 3-5 cm across, which is used in sewing to store pins or needles with their heads protruding so as to take hold of them easily, collect them, and keep them tidy. Many of these are shaped into miniature dolls, animals or basic shapes.
       Pincushions are typically filled tightly with stuffing, so as to hold pins rigidly once placed. The stereotypical design - a tomato with a strawberry attached - seems to have been around forever but, most likely, was introduced during the Victorian Era. Typically, the tomato is filled with wool roving to prevent rust, and the strawberry is filled with an abrasive to clean the pins and keep them from snagging fabrics.

Native American Pincushions:
My favorite pincushion is a half doll (above) that was given to me by my great aunt. I’ll include links of these prickly beauties below. Some of them have been dismantled. With the price of needles these days, it’s no wonder. One must, from time to time, retrieve the lost and buried just to pinch a few pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!