Thursday, February 17, 2022

DIY A Rainbow Candy Surprise Cake for Dolls!

This rainbow sponge cake has been sliced open to reveal doll sized candies at it's center!

       This rainbow sponge cake stuffed with doll sized candies would make an awesome cake for an A G doll Birthday or maybe even an excellent desert accessory for a doll's St. Patrick's Day party! However, I didn't use actual sponges to craft the layers with; I made it with cardboard instead. It is definitely not the easiest doll cake that I have ever made. I suggest this DIY to an older sibling or parent to make.

Supply List:
  • two cardboard tubes, one larger than the other
  • Styro foam beads, multi-colored
  • cotton balls (maybe two)
  • white school glue
  • masking tape
  • corrugated scrap cardboard
  • acrylic paints in all the colors of the rainbow
  • decorative paper
  • lid for the cake plate stand
  • large rubber bands
  • white lace for the cake's top icing 
Step-by-Step Instructions:
  1. To construct this unique rainbow colored cake you will first need to acquire two cardboard tubes. I made this cake using a bread crumb container and a toilet role tube. Cut down the bread crumb tube to approximately 3 1/2" in height. 
  2. I used a circle measuring 4" across for the lid to this outer tube. I cut away, approximately two inches wide, a pie shaped opening from this lid, so that my cake would look as though two pieces had been cut from it already. Of course the excess sides of the outer cake needed to be trimmed off so that the outside edges would reflect a corresponding opening to the lid.
  3. Then I glued and taped this outter tube to a masked and decoupaged lid representing the cake stand in this case.
  4. The next step was to insert a narrower tube of the same height inside the opening. I crushed newsprint to fill the open space around the inner and outer gap between the two shapes and then masked the opening between the two to form flat walls on either side. These walls became the cake layers.
  5. The inner tube should have glue applied to it's upper and lower walls where the top and bottom of the insides meet between the tube and the lid and cake stand. Let this dry.
  6. I unraveled a cotton ball and layered it onto the walls to with white school glue to give the cake layers some added texture. 
  7. I cut another wall from corrugated cardboard to glue onto the outside of my cake. Corrugated cardboard having three separate pieces may be dismantled to reveal an interesting linear texture if you carefully remove one half of the wall. You can see from the photo below that I had to wrap two large rubber bands around the cake to hold this corrugated cardboard against the sides of the larger outside tube while it dried. I wanted this unique texture on my cake, but if you feel it is two complex to attempt, smoother walls will look nice too.
  8. Next, you will need to pool the white glue and add plenty of the Styro-foam beads to the interior of this faux cake. These tiny beads may be purchased from a family dollar store.
  9. I painted the layers of this doll cake with rainbow colors: green, pink, purple, blue and orange. Be careful to separate your layers with white icing between!
  10. Then I also painted the outside of my cake with those same colors.
  11. I used a hot glue gun and stick to attach rows upon rows of lace to the lid of the cake top and then used white glue to paste on a few Styro-foam beads for the finish.

Left, here you can see that I used rubber bands to hold layers of the cake form together while it dried
 hard enough for me to proceed further. Right, the backside of the cake will have rainbow stripes
with texture as well. This cardboard siding comes from the interior of a corrugated cardboard piece.

Left, the cake seen from above. I have yet to paint the layers of the sponge. Right I glued on the white
lace icing before painting the cake actually, but this should be done last for cleaner results, if you are
not an experienced painter. I glued on the tiny Styrofoam balls with white school glue. You do not want
to glue these using hot glue, they will melt! Pool the white glue in the inner tube, add the fake candy
and lay the faux cake on it's side to dry overnight. When it is done drying, the cake should look like
it's just been sliced and the candy has tumbled out.

Above are three views of the rainbow cake taken at different angles.

Cynthia Vera made this real awesome rainbow surprise cake! 

Visit her YouTube channel to see even more recipes 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!