Friday, May 12, 2023

The Heron

Collect all pages-cleaned and sized to make a miniature
book for your dolls
.

Assemble a mini doll sized book: Left, is the Heron's illustration and verse. Visitors can collect all the bird illustrations and verse from "Bird Children" to print and construct a small book of verse for their dolls. Simply drag each png. into a Word Document, print, cut out all of the images the same size and staple the pages together at the left edge. Squeeze out some white school glue along the stapled edge of the pages and attach a cardboard cover.

Great Blue Heron likes to fly,
and so he builds his house up high,
Way in the tops of tallest trees
Where he lives, happy as you please.

Additional Authors:

THE CONCEITED HERON 

       Two Herons were talking at the Zoo. " It is strange," said one, " that I should be so much better looking than you. To begin with, I'm taller; then, my eyes are larger."
       "Mine do very well to see with," said the other humbly.
       "And my wings," went on the first. "How white they are and how pretty they look when I spread them in the sunshine."
       "Looks aren't everything," remarked the other.
       "Oh, no, of course; but it isn't only looks; I am cleverer than you in every way. Now watch. The Keeper is going to throw me a fish. Watch me throw it in the air and catch it as it falls, and then hear the children cheer me."
       The Heron caught the fish and tossed it in the air; but he was so anxious to see what the children would think of him that he was too late to catch it again and his brother seized it as it fell.
       "Hurrah, hurrah!" cried the children. "The smaller Heron is the cleverer; he caught the fish the other threw to him. Hurrah, hurrah!"
       But this Heron only said to the conceited one: "I don't care so much what the children think, but I certainly did enjoy that fish." Henry Altemus Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!