Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Restoring a JUNO 5 German Metal Head Doll

       There has long been a debate between folks about the restoration of old things versus leaving them as is and to be honest, I often fall on the side of the fence where folks opt to leave old things alone. When I originally purchased this JUNO 5 head, I had not intended to alter her paint. However, after discovering that the original paint might in fact be lead based, I changed my mind and decided to remove all traces of it's former application.

Above is how the doll''s head first looked after I first purchased it from an antique dealer. It was
not attached to a stuffed torso. I mounted it on a stuffed torso to begin with so that I could handle
the head easily.
 

        Visions of little ones kissing her cheeks became nightmarish to me and so the journey to replace paint instead of preserving it began. 
       I used Citristrip on the original paint to remove all traces of lead and then applied a coat of gesso to the surface before layering acrylic paints to the metal surface. I threw away all items used to remove the paint: the can for the liquid, the gloves, the brush, the towel - everything. I did all of this away from children, outdoors, wearing a mask. After the metal head was completely free of the original paint, then I painted it again with lead-free, nontoxic acrylic paints!
       Because the surface was so badly pitted and uneven, it was necessary for me to fill the dips and grooves with wood putty and then sand it smooth while applying coats of paint. Eventually the doll came back to life for me... 
       I am certain that there will be people who object to my decision. Perhaps they will find better versions of antique dolls for they're museums to remain under glass apart from small, curious hands . . . and then both camps will be satisfied in the end?

 I left the maker's mark unpainted for those who may adopt her after I have passed.

But as for me and my own house . . .  well the doll must be "born-again." I attached porcelain arms
and booted legs from a broken doll and then covered the new canvas body with a flesh-toned fabric
 matched to her own painted skin. See some restoration on a child version of JUNO 5, open mouth.


The above drawing is of the costuming illustrated for 
a similar doll to mine, 1865. See the doll is dressed
just as the children from the last days of the American
Civil War!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!