Monday, July 3, 2023

Make a Lemon Flavored Bunt Cake

The finished lemon bunt cake sits on top of a small china plate.
       This particular cake craft is made by upcycling an old-fashioned "JELL-O" gelatin tin mold. I didn't prep it with any special medium before painting the surface. I did wash it well.
       After painting the surface, you may wish to seal it with Mod Podge so that it will hold up to regular handling and play.
       I used inexpensive acrylics to paint the bunt cake portion. Then I used a puff paint for the lemon icing.
      This icing gave a 3 dimensional surface with a shinier finish compared to that of the bunt cake beneath it. 
       Puff paint can take 24 hours to dry properly and sometimes it's surface will even out a bit while it dries. Apply a second coat, after the first dries if you wish for the surface icing to be even thicker looking. 
       The 18" doll sized, lemon bunt cake would look marvelous displayed inside of "Angelo's Bakery" for those of you who are fans of the Claudie Wells doll! But our family will use it in our own version of a doll bakery instead. 

The JELL-O brand mold is from a collection passed down to me from my mother-in-law.
I have another craft made with the same tin: pumpkin bowl with candy.

Left, is the dry-brushed tin. I used brown, gold, tan and black brushed in layers to make a bunt
cake. Right, is the cake "iced" with lemony yellow puff paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!