Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Two Timid Persons Meet

 'Thus  always  you  will  meet  life's  test,
To  do  the  thing  you  can  do  best.' Whitefoot

       Jumpee  the  Hare  sat  crouched at  the  foot  of  a  tree  in  the  Green Forest.  Had  you  happened  along there you  would  not  have  seen him.  At  least,  I  doubt  if  you would.  If  you  had  seen  him, you  probably  would  not  have  known it.  You  see,  in  his  white  coat Jumper  was  so  exactly  the  color of  the  snow  that  he  looked  like nothing  more  than  a  little  heap of  snow.
       Just  in  front  of  Jumper  was  a little    round    hole.     He    gave    it no  attention.  It  didn't interest him  in  the  least.  All  through the  Green  Forest  were  little  holes in  the  snow.  Jumper  was so  used to  them  that  he  seldom  noticed them.  So  he  took  no  notice  of this  one  until  something moved down  in  that  hole.  Jumper's eyes  opened  a  little  wider  and  he watched.  A  sharp  little face  with very  bright  eyes  filled  that  little round  hole.  Jumper  moved  just the  tiniest  bit,  and  in a  flash  that sharp  little  face  with  the  bright eyes  disappeared.
       Jumper  sat  still  and  waited. After  a  long  wait  the  sharp  little face  with  bright  eyes  appeared again.  ''Don't  be  frightened, Whitefoot'  said  Jumper  softly.
       At  the  first  word  the  sharp  little face  disappeared,  but  in  a  moment it  was  back,  and  the sharp  little eyes  were  fixed  on  Jumper  suspiciously. After  a  long  stare  the suspicion  left  them, and  out  of the  little  round  hole  came  trim little  Whitefoot  in  a  soft  brown coat  with  white waistcoat  and with  white  feet  and  a  long,  slim tail.  This  winter  he  was  not  living in  Farmer Brown's  sugar-house.
       ''Gracious,  Jumper,  how  you  did scare  me!"  said  he. 
       Jumper  chuckled.  '' Whitefoot, I  believe  you  are  more  timid  than I  am,''  he  replied.
       ''Why  shouldn't  I  be?  I'm ever  so  much  smaller,  and  I  have more  enemies.''  retorted  Whitefoot.
       ''It  is  true  you  are  smaller,  but I  am  not  so  sure  that  you  have more  enemies.''  replied  Jumper thoughtfully.  ''It  sometimes  seems to  me  that  I  couldn't  have  more, especially  in  winter.''
       ''Name  them''  commanded Whitefoot.
        ''Hooty  the  Great  Horned  Owl, Yowler  the  Bob  Cat,  Old  Man Coyote,  Reddy  Fox,  Terror  the Goshawk,  Shadow  the  Weasel Billy  Mink.'' Jumper  paused. 
       ''Is  that  all?"  demanded  Whitefoot.
       ''Isn't  that  enough?"  retorted Jumper  rather  sharply.
       "I  have  all  of  those  and  Blacky the  Crow  and  Butcher  the  Shrike and  Sammy  Jay  in winter,  and Buster  Bear  and  Jimmy  Skunk and  several  of  the  Snake  family in  summer.''  replied Whitefoot. ''It  seems  to  me  sometimes  as  if I  need  eyes  and  ears  all  over me.  Night  and  day there  is  always someone  hunting  for  poor  little me.  And  then  some  folks  wonder why  I  am  so timid.  If  I  were not  as  timid  as  I  am,  I  wouldn't be  alive  now;  I  would  have  been caught  long ago.  Folks  may laugh  at  me  for  being  so  easily frightened,  but  I  don't  care. That  is  what  saves my  life  a dozen  times  a  day.''
       Jumper  look  interested.  "I hadn't  thought  of  that.'  said  he. ''I'm  a  very  timid  person  myself. And  sometimes  I  have  been ashamed  of  being  so  easily  frightened. But  come  to  think  of  it, I guess  you  are  right;  the  more timid  I  am,  the  longer  I  am  likely to  live."
       Whitefoot  suddenly  darted  into his  hole.  Jumper  didn't  move, but  his  eyes  widened  with fear. A  great  white  bird  had  just alighted  on  a  stump  a  short  distance away.  It  was  Whitey  the Snowy  Owl,  down  from  the  Far North.
       ''There  is  another  enemy  we both  forgot,''  thought  Jumper, and  tried  not  to  shiver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!