Sunday, July 14, 2024

''My Little Delft Friends'' Poem

 
My Little Delft Friends
by Margaret L. Ollman
 
1.
On the bright tiling they stand
My friends on the battered Delft plate,
And out on the window-frame land
Blue windmills are whirling in state.
Her knitting has dropped from her lap;
Puss anxiously watches its trail-
The little Dutch girl wit her muslin cap,
And the cat with a twist in its tail.

2.
Sometimes in Dreamland she smiles,
And I climb to the little blue room,
And play with the girl on the tiles,
While the kitten goes chasing a broom.
And when I awaken, mayhap,
They will toss me a glance from their nail-
The little Dutch girl with her muslin cap,
And the cat with a twist in its tail.

3.
If ever I go to the land
Where Dutch people fish and make cheese,
Where wooden shoes trudge o'er the sand,
And windmills grow thicker than trees,
I'll search every place on the map,
And hunt in each village and vale,
For the little Dutch girl with her muslin cap,
And the cat with a twist in its tail.

More Blue Delft Content:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated. Spam is not published. Have a good day!